Senate President Stephen Sweeney
Deputy Speaker John Burzichelli
Assemblyman Adam Taliaferro

Consumer Complaints
Energy Assistance
Foreclosure Assistance
Property Tax Relief
Senior Programs
Starting a New Business
State Health Insurance
Unemployment Benefits
Heathcare Programs

How do I file a complaint against a business?

To file a Consumer Complaint online, please visit the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs website.

Make sure to explain the complaint in detail by providing information about the problem and who is involved. Always include the name and current address of the business, and it is always helpful to provide photocopies of documentation pertaining to the issue. 

Please Note: Any information you provide may be subject to public disclosure pursuant to New Jersey’s Open Public Records Act. If an investigation into the matter is conducted, the information is subject to public disclosure only after the completion of the investigation. The Division recommends that you not submit sensitive personal information on these online forms.

What energy assistance programs are available for New Jersey residents?

  • The Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) assists low-income residents with their heating and cooling bills, and can provide emergency fuel assistance under certain circumstances.
  • The Universal Service Fund (USF) lowers the bills for low income customers by providing a credit on natural gas or electricity.
  • New Jersey’s Weatherization Assistance Programs will help reduce energy bills and keep your home warm by providing you with: 1) A home energy audit to see how much money you can save on energy bills by weatherizing; and 2) Installation of energy efficient measures which may include air sealing, insulation, heating system repair and/or replacement of refrigerators and heating systems if necessary. 

Please Note: The FY 2020 LIHEAP application is also an application for the Universal Service Fund Program (USF) and Weatherization Program. Also, Food Stamp (SNAP) recipients and Lifeline/PAAD recipients are automatically screened for USF and HEA and only need to fill out a full USF/HEA application if it is requested by the county USF/HEA agency or more information is needed. So, you can apply for multiple benefit programs at the same time. USF is a program created by the State of New Jersey to help make natural gas and electric bills more affordable for low-income households.

Please visit the Energy Assistance page at the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs website for more information on the LIHEAP, USF, and Weatherization programs, including local agencies where you may apply.

  • New Jersey SHARES is a non-profit corporation established to provide temporary assistance to residents who do not qualify for other types of assistance and are experiencing a financial hardship. The program can assist with up to $700 for a heating bill and up to $500 for electric service, or up to $700 for electrically heated homes.

To learn more please visit the NJ Shares website.

  • The Payment Assistance for Gas and Electric (PAGE) program is annually funded by the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities and provides grants to assist low to moderate income families with their energy bills. The program is administered by the Affordable Housing Alliance (AHA).

Our office is an official intake partner for the Affordable Housing Alliance and will work with you on your application submission. Please contact our office at 856-251-9801 (West Deptford) or 856-339-0808 (Salem) for additional assistance. The application form can be accessed here, along with eligibility requirements information. The application is also available at the NJ Power On website. You may also call 732-982-8710 to reach the AHA directly.

If you need additional information on any of these programs or are having difficulty in applying, please contact our office.

What foreclosure assistance programs are available for New Jersey residents?

If you need assistance with your mortgage company and have received pre-foreclosure or foreclosure notices, you can contact the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency (NJHMFA), which offers free housing counseling through the NJHMFA Foreclosure Mediation Assistance Program.

Also, you may visit the Financial Counseling Organizations page of the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance website for agency contact information.

What types of property tax relief am I eligible for? 

The Property Tax Reimbursement Program, also known as the “Senior Freeze,” reimburses residents who are seniors or disabled, for property tax increases on their homes if they meet the eligibility requirements. If you are a first time applicant, please contact our office for an application. The deadline for filing a 2018 Property Tax Reimbursement Program application is October 31, 2019 (the current application year is 2018).

The Homestead Benefit Application offers property tax relief to eligible homeowners. For the most recent 2016 Homestead Benefits application, homeowners must report $75,000 or less in gross income or $150,000 or less for those 65 or older or disabled. The income limits apply to a single individual, a married/civil union couple living in the same residence, and a married/civil union partner maintaining a residence separate from their spouse/partner. The benefit amount will be calculated based on the 2006 property taxes for each home. Most homeowners will receive their benefits as credits on their property tax bills. The deadline for filing your 2016 Homestead application was November 30, 2018.

Both of these programs must be reapplied for each year and are subject to changes by the state budget. For more information, please visit the Property Tax Relief page on the Department of Treasury website or contact our office. You may also check the status of your application by visiting the Taxation website.

What assistance programs are available for New Jersey seniors?

New Jersey has a variety of programs created to assist eligible residents in receiving needed medical care and services. There are varied income and asset limits for most of these programs. New Jersey EASE (NJ EASE) is the State initiative to provide consumers with services, which are more accessible, responsive and appropriate to their needs. Instead of contracting many agencies, through NJ EASE you dial just one toll-free telephone number and receive information about programs and services for your particular needs and circumstances. This nationwide toll-free telephone number is 1-877-222-3737.

The Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged and Disabled (PAAD) program is a state program to pharmaceutical assistance to the aged and those disabled. The program continues to provide state-funded prescription assistance to nearly 143,000 New Jersey residents.

The State of New Jersey offers a prescription discount program, Senior Gold. The Senior Gold Prescription Discount Plan makes available prescription coverage to residents who are ineligible for the Pharmaceutical Assistance for the Aged and Disabled (PAAD) program.

Senior Gold benefits help to make Medicare prescription drug coverage more affordable by reducing any other out-of-pocket costs associated with that coverage, such as deductibles, co-insurance, and the coverage gap known as the “donut hole.”

Applications are available from Senior Gold, local pharmacies, senior centers or the County Office on Aging, or online. For more information, including annual income limits, please contact Senior Gold toll-free, 1-800-792-9745 or at the Senior Gold website.

To apply, a universal application for PAAD, Senior Gold and other special benefit programs must be completed. Application forms can be found at senior citizen centers, Medicaid offices, local pharmacies or the Area Agencies on Aging, or online.

Where I can learn more about starting a new business?

If you would like to start a business in New Jersey, there are a number of resources and support services that have helped hundreds of successful business owners.

The New Jersey State Bar Foundation publishes a guide entitled “Starting and Succeeding with a New Business: A Primer for the New Entrepreneur,” which offers an introduction on many topics, such as the importance of a business plan and hiring practices.

The New Jersey Business Portal is a one-stop shop for learning about financing programs and employee training grants, as well as information on the sales tax, licenses, and permits.

The New Jersey Economic Development Authority is an independent state agency that provides access to loans and other financing for business expansion and redevelopment projects.

The Small Business Development Center at Rutgers-Camden offers numerous support services, business consulting, and educational workshops. The center may also be reached at 856-225-6221.

Please contact our office with any questions or concerns.

How do I apply for state health insurance?

To apply online through NJ FamilyCare, New Jersey’s publicly funded health insurance program, please visit their website to download an application or call 1-800-701-0710 to request that an application be mailed to you.

You can also apply at your local County Welfare Agency:

  • Gloucester County Division of Social Services: 856-582-9200
  • Cumberland County Board of Social Services: 856-691-4600
  • Salem County Board of Social Services: 856-299-7200

How do I apply for unemployment benefits?

To file an unemployment claim, you may file online by visiting the Unemployment Insurance Benefits page of the Department of Labor and Workforce Development website or by calling the Cumberland Call Center at 856-507-2340, if you are a resident of this district.

You should always file as soon as possible after you become unemployed as no benefits will be paid for any weeks until your claim is filed. It is important to follow all instructions carefully to ensure you remain qualified to receive benefits.

In the event that you are determined ineligible to receive benefits, you have the right to file an appeal. The written appeal must be filed within ten days after the mailing of the determination. As you await an Appeal Tribunal Hearing, you must claim your weekly benefits online or over the phone to receive “credit” for the weeks that you are claiming.

If you have already filed a claim and are having difficulty communicating with the New Jersey Department of Labor, please contact our office.

What if I am unsure about which state programs or assistance I am eligible for?

NJHelps is a free and easy online guide that asks questions about your household, income, and expenses to determine programs and assistance for which you and your family may be eligible. It will tell you where to go for help, what to bring with you, and can also provide contact information and links to helpful resources.

Please Note: NJHelps cannot guarantee that you qualify for these programs. You must still apply for assistance by contacting and completing the required forms for each program.

What health care programs and services are available for New Jersey residents?

New Jersey residents may qualify for a host of health care services available through the New Jersey Department of Human Services, including:

Health Care Services

Disability Programs

Division of Aging Services

Addiction Services

Mental Health


Family Programs

New Jersey residents are encouraged to review services available through the New Jersey Department of Health

The NJ Prescription Drug Retail Price Registry, from the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, will help consumers compare the retail prices charged by many pharmacies for the 150 most-frequently prescribed prescription drugs.

District Offices

Gloucester County

Kingsway Commons
935 Kings Highway, Suite 400
West Deptford, NJ 08086
Phone: (856) 251-9801
Fax: (856) 251-9752

Salem/Cumberland Counties

The Finlaw Building
199 East Broadway, Suite G
Salem, NJ 08079
Phone: (856) 339-0808 or
             (856) 455-1011
Fax: (856) 339-9626