Senate President Stephen Sweeney
Deputy Speaker John Burzichelli
Assemblyman Adam Taliaferro – As many as 8 million Americans may not have received their first stimulus check from the CARES Act in March, according to the Treasury Department.

Even more may still be waiting for a second stimulus payment.

The IRS was required to send the second payments by Jan. 15, and some could still be in the mail. Those payments could be in the form of a check or a prepaid debit card.

If you’re worried that your payment was lost or stolen, or even if was accidentally destroyed, the IRS is offering new guidance on what to do.

You can request the IRS do a payment trace to see if the payment was cashed, but only if you’ve received notice that a payment was actually sent.

To do that, you can check the IRS’ Get My Payment tool, which will show when your payment was issued. You can ask for a trace if it’s been five days since a direct deposit was made, four weeks since a payment was mailed by check or six weeks from the mailing date if you have a forwarding address.

You can also request a trace if you received Notice 1444 for the first stimulus payment or Notice 1444-B for the second stimulus payment but you still haven’t received the money.

“If a trace is initiated and the IRS determines that the check wasn’t cashed, the IRS will credit your account for that payment but the IRS cannot reissue your payment. Instead, you will need to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return if eligible,” it said.

If the check was cashed, the Treasury Department’s Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send a package that includes a copy of the cashed check. Follow the enclosed instructions and the agency will “review your claim and the signature on the canceled check before determining whether the payment can be reversed, the IRS said. If reversed, you will need to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 return.”

To start a payment trace, you can call (800) 919-9835 or fax Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund PDF to (855) 344-9993. People from New Jersey can also mail the form to: Kansas City Internal Revenue Service, 333 W Pershing Rd., Kansas City, MO 64108.

You do not need to file the form if you requested a trace by phone.

The IRS also said you should not request a payment trace to determine if you were eligible for a payment or to confirm the amount of payment you should have received.

If you were sent a debit card but you haven’t received it yet, you can also contact MetaBank, which issues the debit cards, at (800) 240-8100 to see if it has a record of a payment in your name. If the card never arrives, you can request a new one with no fee.

District Offices

Gloucester County

Kingsway Commons
935 Kings Highway, Suite 400
West Deptford, NJ 08086
Phone: (856) 251-9801
Fax: (856) 251-9752

Salem/Cumberland Counties

The Finlaw Building
199 East Broadway, Suite G
Salem, NJ 08079
Phone: (856) 339-0808 or
             (856) 455-1011
Fax: (856) 339-9626